Kayak school in Georgia
Kayaking should be fun. That is why we would like to teach you to paddle, to enjoy your time on a river and to understand how to run rapids safely for you and your mates.
Samegrelo (western region of Georgia) is amongst our most favorite summer destinations. In summer rivers are crystal clear, the air is warm and the landscapes are scenic. Ideal location for learning to kayak. We will stay in a village Mukhuri, which is a calm and hospitable. The learning spot on the water is in a park just a few meters away from the guesthouse. There is everything needed for practicing – a stream, eddies, flatwater, rapids. And just upstream from it there is a 6km long class 3 whitewater stretch.
After learning the basic elements and taking a few runs on the river Khobi we will move to Tekhuri river to paddle some simple whitewater in its lower canyons. And the same day we will move to the canyons of Abasha river to enjoy its beauty.
During the school time we have one resting day planned. We will take you to the beaches of Anaklia on the sea side, we will visit an aquapark and will pass by a largest town in the region Zugdidi. Around Mukhuri there are several hiking routes and a few caves you can visit. If you are keen to spend a few extra days after the school or you have some spare time after the classes on the water, you can take a hike into Svanetian mountains, visit local mountain lake or explore the caves.
What we expect from you:
The school is planned for those who like to learn basics of kayaking, improve their technique and broaden their whitewater skill set. The programme is suitable also for those who spent winter in the gym/swimming pool and would like to refresh their kayaking skills. This school is for those who likes paddling rivers and who wish to learn to do it right and to enjoy their kayaking. In addition, we will instruct you on the basics of river safety and rescue, first aid and other useful techniques.
– practice on the water (warm up, eskimo roll, forward strokes, controlling strokes, bracing, edging, ferries, entering and leaving eddies, boofing, hole surfing)
– theoretical classes (equipment, first aid, expedition kayking, rescue)
– swimming in whitewater (how to swim and how to interact with the swimmer)
– paddling group dynamics, running river in a group
– analysis of the recorded videos
– whitewater paddling class II (III) and III (IV), upon request
1. Arrival to Georgia and transfer to the guesthouse
2. Equipment check. Warm up. Practice on flatwater in an eddy. Eskimo roll practice and basics of paddling technique on flatwater. Theoretical class.
3. Practice run on simple whitewater class 2-3. Basics of eskimo roll on whitewater. Theoretical class.
4. Practice run on simple whitewater class 2-3. River running. Hole surfing.
5. Resting day or other (non-kayaking) activities.
6. Practice run on a river. Rescue training.
7. Practice run on a river. Theoretical class. Analysis of the recorded video.
Dates: One week (7 days) in a period 6 june – 5 july 2020
Camp #1: 6 – 13 june
Camp #2: 13 – 20 june
Camp #3: 20 – 28 june + white water safety course by Ticket2ride
Camp #4: 28 june – 5 july
Camp #5: in a period from 5 to 28 july by request
The first and the last days are reserved for the arrival and the departure.
Upon requests, we can organize the school for a longer or shorter term
Number of participants:
Minimum number of participants is 4 and maximum 6.
Class I-II group is for those who know how to roll, capable to leave eddies and has some prior experience with simple whitewater.
Class II-III group is for those who know how to roll, has some experience in running whitewater and are capable in maneuvering on a river (turns, taking and leaving eddies).
Class III-IV group is for those who are confident in paddling simple whitewater, capable of rolling on whitewater, know how to control the boat in rapids and are confidently maneuvering on a river (taking and leaving eddies, edging, hole surfing), knows the basics of boofing.
* the dates and the programme will be adjusted depending on the participants level
You should bring your own gear (boat, paddle, buoyancy aid, hemet, paddle wear).
We have a few boats and some gear which you can rent. The boat rent is 10 eur/day. Please tell us in advance if you would like to rent a boat.
* Price for Camp #3: 20 – 28 june – 510 EUR
The price includes:
– all transfers during the school
– instructions, rescue and classes
– photo and video recording
– airport transfer
* transfers from Tbilisi are planned for at least 3 participants or upon additional agreement
The price does not include:
– medical insurance
– excursions, hikes, bike tours, entertainment
– alcoholic beverages
Accommodation and food:
Accommodation will be organised in a local guesthouse in Mukhuri. We will either cook meals ourselves or organise catering with the guesthouse owners.
How to get there:
Flight to Batumi
Flight to Kutaisi
Flight to Tbilisi
You can paddle rivers with your eyes full of fear, but you can also learn to do it with full control and knowledge and also to enjoy it. It is up to you.